I eat headphone jacks for breakfast so I've given up on buying wired headphones. I realised one day I could get bluetooth wireless, water-resistant headphones. One of the best purchases I've ever made. They are great. Good audio, and very convenient.
Except I still haven't figured out how to get my Debian laptop to connect to them reliably. When I want my laptop to output sound to my bluetooth headphones, it takes roughly 50 minutes to get it working to any degree at all.
So here's a loose assortment of things I try. First, a couple of shell commands.
sudo systemctl restart bluetooth pulseaudio -k
Then, to control the bluetooth stuff, I start
in that interactive shell, I attempt to
- Unpair headphones:
- Power on controller:
- Turn on scanning to find pairable headphones:
- Pair headphones:
- Trust headphones (since no pin):
- Connect to headphones:
I then leave that window open, or exit it with ctrlD. I have no idea if that makes any difference.
At this point I open
pavucontrol to see
that PulseAudio recognises that headphones are
happening. Hopefully they show up under "Output
Devices", or I try some other permutation of the above
If they do show up, I go over to the "Configuration" tab and make sure they use the "A2DP Sink" profile.
Sometimes that works, sometimes it does not.